Bird Photography .. in and around Pune

Geographically Pune is quite diverse comprising of large water bodies, mountain ranges, plateaus. Each geographical location houses a habitat for birds, including migratory bids. Places like Mulshi, Bhigvan, Sihagad Valley, Kavdi etc serve an excellent treat to birdwatchers. These sites are within 50-100km radius and are easily accessible by road. The best time for birding in Pune is from September(closure of monsoon) to April (beginning of harsh summers). Flamingos are the main attraction during Dec-Feb time period. In addition, the residential localities of the city too are abundant with birds like sun birds, bee eaters, ashy prinias, tickells blue flycatchers etc.

For the past few months (before Monsoon) .. I have been addicted to bird photography. The new Canon Gear at hand, inspired all the more. Though the glass that I possess is considered a mediocre choice for bird photography, I am content with the results.

I am novice at bird photography, so any comments\suggestions are most welcome...

To visit my gallery Click Indian Birds - Amit Gupte

10 comments:

Pankaj - भटकंती Unlimited said...

U deserve a 100-400 (at least). Grab one soon.

Aniruddha Bokil said...

You inspired me to try bird photography.

Amit said...

Thanks Pankaj and Bakya for the encouragement .. though the 400mm is out of question for atleast a decade :(

Ruhi said...

Amit,
You can also go to Pashan lake which is nearest to your place. You can get to see Wagtails, Herons, Hoopoe, Bee eaters, Terns, etc.

Unknown said...

nice pics!!!!!can u suggest me a good place for bird and nature photography around pune(max 70 kms away)

Amit said...

Akshey .. most of the places mentioned in this blog are in that range..:)

Google will give u accurate directions.

Unknown said...

hello..I am also fond of photo graphy..saw ur photos ..very nice..and I got some referrences also fpr bird photography..can I join u at gmail? my id is shyamasree.bhattacharya@gmail.com

ADITYA DATAR said...

Hi
I really liked your photographs.
Yesterday I saw a Grey Horn bill , crow pheasant,wagtails and sun birds on Taljai tekdi(pachgaon parvati).
Just wanted to tell.

ADITYA DATAR said...

Hi
I really liked your photographs.
Yesterday I saw a Grey Horn bill , crow pheasant,wagtails and sun birds on Taljai tekdi(pachgaon parvati).
Just wanted to tell.

uncommonmediocre said...

Hello Amit,
Firstly, awesome! simply awesome photographs.
I myself bought a Nikon D3200 recently and tried bird photography with the Nikkor 18-55. Lacks zoom BIG time!! :P
Your photography has really inspired me to explore some more. Basically, I am a complete amateur at Bird Watching/Photography.
Which lens are you currently using?
I really don't think you need any more powerful lens :P :) :D
cheers!!
PS: THE POINT OF THIS COMMENT.
Just to mention that you have done a fantastic job and compelled me to bookmark your page :).
I have a lot to learn and your page is definitely gonna help :D